Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Invisible work....including Monday's chicken afritada

I had the most delightfully deep conversation today with my good friend J who I met moons a go while taking the same course.  We caught up over a long absence and we came to chatting about the invisible work that women do in the domestic field.  Both J and I have full-time employment in a crazy profession that leaves you breathless at the end of the day.  At home, we deliver top-notch service in both the cleaning and cooking and basically Alpha-female stereotypical department of empathy, listening skills, patience and understanding in our surprisingly traditional gender roles in our marriages for two long-standing feminists. (As an aside, my fab sis sent me this hilarious podcast that you should all check out called, "The Guilty Feminist" episode 90 left me crying in laughter at certain moments).

As much as we complain and tried to wrap our heads around how our husbands are wired so differently than us, we came to the subject of cooking.  I have won the lottery with my husband's cooking skills... the only challenge is that it comes out like a Sasquatch sighting... there is spotted proof of it existing but it's too effusive to count on as ground-breaking evidence that it does exist.  As I spent most of Monday watching the hours dissipate as I laboured two weeks worth of laundry, organized Miss M's room, paid bills, was harangued by family to plan events (last-minute whims, of course) I came to the task of groceries and dinner.  I have to say, this dinner was accomplished a lot faster than I had anticipated... (yay!) and came out surprisingly good and tasted even better on Day 2 (ahem, today) and hopefully tomorrow (ahem, not cooking again until Thursday).  It checks off easy, is a tomato-based sauce for H, and can go well with easy rice to make.  Oh!  And it's Filipino, so you know it's tasty!  Invisibly made by the magic of the alpha-female in the house, here is the recipe for Chicken Afritada. P.S. I omitted the green peas, hot dogs, and sugar and truth be told didn't have tomato sauce so I used half a can of diced tomatoes and three huge squirts of ketchup (he he he).  I also unsafely left it on simmer as I literally browned the chicken pieces and then dumped the rest in the pot... and ran to pick up Miss M from daycare...hey man, no judgments... it's invisible work, but it's work!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

managing mid-life... by revisiting reviews!

 Ugh, I'm out of practice!  I was reminded of my gallivanting and good eats blog by a dear friend from yesteryear and thought it best to...